The Nolan Children’s Book Collection includes approximately 4,000 volumes of material dating primarily from the 1940s to the 1960s. The collection is being continually developed to facilitate access to researchers in children’s literature. Due to the generous ongoing donations by John and Grace Nolan, the collection continues to grow. It is kept in locked glass fronted cabinets of the St Patrick’s campus of the Australian Catholic University in Melbourne, but can be used within the Library on exchange of ID. The Nolan Collection is complemented by the Culican Children’s Book Collection.
The Culican Children’s Book Collection includes approximately 1,500 volumes of material dating primarily from the 1800s to the 1940s. All material in this collection is catalogued and available via the ACU library catalogue. The Culican Collection is located at the St Patrick’s campus of the Australian Catholic University in Melbourne. The collection is kept in locked glass fronted cabinets but can be used within the Library on exchange of ID. The Culican Collection is complemented by the Nolan Children’s Book Collection.
The Aquinas Collection is a collection of approximately 15,000 books dating back to the 1800's. The Aquinas library was established in 1932 by the Christian Brothers’ Old Boys’ Literary and Debating Society in Brisbane. It contains collections donated by important Queensland Catholic literary figures, like Martin Haley, Rev. T.P. Boland, Rev. O.K. Oxenham and John Kelly (a Catholic lay leader). The library was given to the Brisbane campus, on permanent loan, by the Corporation of the Trustees of the Roman Catholic Archdioceses of Brisbane in 1991. The collection can be borrowed by all registered users of the Library.
Aquinas Memorial Lectures
The Aquinas Memorial Lectures date back to the 1940s. In March 1944, eleven years after the opening of the Aquinas Library, the inaugural Aquinas Lecture, entitled "Aquinas and Modern Practices of Interest Taking", was delivered by Mr John P. Kelly in the rooms of the Aquinas Library with the Chief Justice of Queensland, Sir William Webb, as Chairman. From then until 1950 an Aquinas Lecture was delivered each year. A new series of the Aquinas Memorial Lectures was established in 1979 by the Aquinas Library and continued by the Australian Catholic University McAuley Campus. The lecture series was originally published by Aquinas Press in Brisbane, the Aquinas Library from 1979 and then continued by the Australian Catholic University, McCauley Campus.
St Pauls collection
The St Paul’s Theological Collection is one of the leading theology collections in Australia. It is physically located in the Library at the McAuley campus of the Australian Catholic University in Brisbane. The collection originally belonged to the Province of Queensland, a corporate body of all of the dioceses of the Catholic Church in Queensland. The collection consists of approximately 35,000 books, as well as periodicals, eBooks and eJournals, most of which are catalogued and available via the ACU library catalogue. ACU continues to purchase items each year in order to build on this special theological collection. Some of the older material of historical significance is housed in locked glass cabinets in the Library. The Quinn Collection is a subset of the St Paul’s Theological College Collection. The Collection can be borrowed by all registered users of the Library except for items in the glass cases.
Quinn collection (part of St Pauls Reference)
The Quinn Collection, currently housed at ACU library in Brisbane, has approximately 1200 items in the glass cases. Some are individual items, others are multivolume sets. Many are in foreign languages, including Latin and German. The collection originated as the personal library of James Quinn (1819-1881), the first Bishop of Brisbane. Many of the items were brought out from Ireland in the late 1850’s when he was appointed Bishop but the collection continued to grow after his arrival in Brisbane. This collection is not available for loan but may be viewed in the Library by prior arrangement.